Please contact us
with any questions about our garbage program.
The following PDF documents can be printed for easy reference. You will need the free Acrobat Reader
to view these files.
Acceptable Garbage Materials
Only put non-recyclable materials into your gray container!
- Auto, mirror and tinted glass
- Glassware, crystal and dinnerware
- Household window glass
- Light bulbs (except fluorescent bulbs)
- Clothes hangers
- Animal feces or manure
- Food scraps
- Paper towels, napkins and facial tissues
- Soiled papers, food wrappings, napkins, tissues or towels
- Food contaminated packaging such as pizza boxes.
- Bubble wrap
- PVC or other plastic piping
- Shrink wrap and plastic bags and liners
- Styrofoam/polystyrene containers and packing peanuts
- Toys, trays, cups, garden hoses, flower pots
- Unmarked plastics
Extra garbage must be bagged, boxed or bundled and prior arrangements for pickup must be made with Recology South Bay.
Extra Bag Tags
are available for purchase through Recology South Bay Customer Service
. Extra Bag Tags have no expiration date and can be used any time for collection on your regularly scheduled garbage pick up day.
Unacceptable Garbage Material
Please do not place the following materials into your gray container!
Electronic / Universal Waste
- Concrete, rocks, dirt, lumber, dirt, rocks, plywood or particle board
- Televisions, computers, cell phones, batteries, fluorescent light bulbs, mercury switches
- Grass, leaves, tree and bush cuttings
Hot Ashes or Coals
Household Hazardous Waste
Recyclable Glass, Metal, Paper and Plastic
- Paints, solvents, motor oil, cleaners, corrosives, fuel tanks - propane tanks, syringes, medical waste
Please set out materials by 6:00 a.m. on your scheduled collection day. A special charge may be incurred if collection trucks need to return.
Recology South Bay is not responsible for any articles left on or near collection carts. Please take care in making sure your valuables are placed in a location where they will not roll or fall near the carts.
Garbage is collected with a fully automated truck, using a mechanical arm that retrieves, empties and sets the cart down in the street without the driver leaving the truck.
Using the fully automated system makes the set out of the carts more important than ever, so that the mechanical arm can grab a cart without interfering with the other carts.
- *Please tape both battery terminals on all batteries. You may use either masking, electrical, or duct tape. Place all taped batteries in a clear, sealed plastic bag. If any batteries are leaking, please put them in a separate bag and place them on top of your blue recycling cart.
- Place your carts on the street by 6:00am on your scheduled collection day.
- Place wheels against the curb and close cart lids.
- For more complete information please view our Annual Service Brochure.